Saturday, March 22, 2014

Heartland Ranch

As I stated in a previous post, my aim is not to make the redesigned Riverview the same as the fictional town of Hudson, Alberta, in the Canadian TV series, Heartland.

Nevertheless, one of my first creations as part of Riverview Revamped was to design my own version of Heartland Ranch.

My version is based only loosely on the home featured in the show. Even the largest Sims 3 lot (50 x 50) can't do "ranch size." Plus it is difficult to get a good view of the ranch, the house, the barn, and other features from the TV show.

Don't think I didn't try, though. In doing research for my construction, I did eventually find a blueprint drawing of the Heartland Ranch set. (Alas, lost to me now.) But, again, trying to include everything in the way it's placed on the set is difficult given the "small" size of the Sims lot.

In the TV version, there is a circular drive in front of the rather modest, rustic home (which does not look like the suburban American ranch-style home you're probably imagining right now.) There is also a horse pen near the road, an enclosed paddock, and a barn--all appearing to the left of the house, before you reach the front door. Additionally, there is a pond somewhere in the vicinity, a dude ranch, some outbuildings (including some outhouses on the dude ranch), and a long driveway into the property.

No way would all of that fit on the 50 x 50 Sims lot. Instead, I managed the pond, the horse paddock, the horse training area, the barn, and a rustic yet spacious home, smack-dab on Old Farm Road, not some distance from the highway.

The interior of my Heartland home differs as well from the TV version. My take has some homey touches, such as the TV/breakfast room off the kitchen and the screaming harvest orange "rumpus room" in the basement. However, the rumpus room also has a bandstand with instruments, ready for jamming (not jam-making). There's also a nursery, a large master bedroom with walk-in closet, and an almost-elegant living room, replete with trophy case.

I can't imagine the Bartlett clan from Heartland living so high on the horse. Instead, my version is an odd combo of the horsey set meets them thar hills.

It's not perfect, but it's mine. As I continue to redo Riverview, we may see another version of the homestead, maybe one in white clapboard with green trim, like a home and barn I see on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in the central part of the state, one of my favorite examples of local architecture.

Or I may find that blueprint again and try to make my ranch even more Heartland authentic. The kind of place that Jack, Lou, Amy, and Ty would be proud to call home.

* * *

An update: I just discovered this YouTube video, which gives a much closer look at the Heartland house. I guess I now know how I'll be spending my Sunday . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment